Lombosciatics represents the lumbar pain with brutal start, severely limiting movement and affecting sensitivity in the corresponding dermatome of the affected root, with or without motor deficit..
The dorsolumbar junction and the lumbar segment are the most exposed areas to mechanic stresses. The clinical picture of lombosciatics of mechanic causes, mainly by disc hernia, is dominated by pain with the following features:
- Abrupt start during effort or several hours after the effort, irradiating in the lower limb, on the trajectory of the sciatic nerve.
- It is aggravated by physical effort, by movement, by coughing, by sneezing, by defecation.
- It is improved by rest.
- It may be joined by sensitivity disturbances, by paresthesia, by hypoesthesia or even by anesthetics on the trajectory of the affected nerve (dermatome).
- In time, weaknesses and muscular hypotrophy may occur.
The physical examination of the patient shows an antalgic attitude, the body being inclined to the opposite part of the hurting side, concave scoliosis to the ill side, fading of lordosis, unilateral contracture of the paravertebral muscles.
Lombosciatics from stenosis of spinal canal is characterized by bilateral polyradicular sciatalgy, pseudoclaudication, with pain in the thigh, calf, leg, occurring during walking, and it improves by resting.
The rebel hyperalgic sciatica under intense conservative treatment, prolonged sciatica (3 – 6 months), paralyzing sciatica with sphincter disturbances (horse-tail syndrome) represent indications of surgical intervention.
Symptoms of lombosciatics::
- muscle contracture;
- leg pain;
- decrease of muscle force and mass;
- reduction of reflexes.
Interdictions for lombosciatics:
- Maintain fixed positions for long periods of time;
- Avoid cold;
- Lifting weights;
- Physical and sports activities;
- Losing weight or maintaining weight;
- Avoid constipation
- Avoid flu.